Germany How Germany is helping international students in times of coronavirus Foreign students are now eligible for help as part of Germany's emergency coronavirus spending. The Home Office advice for Tier 2, 5 and Student sponsors instructs sponsors that they are not required to report you or stop sponsoring you unless you withdraw from your course permanently, defer your studies for reasons not related to Coronavirus or stop engaging with your distance learning for more than 30 days. Please be aware that some education providers will have their own policies which might differ from our answers. UK universities understand that a university ‘closure’, which can mean a variety of things, may cause anxiety for students who cannot return home. Make sure they follow the special instructions on how to apply for an eTA at this time. If you’re already in Canada, you can continue studying at any DLI. This means you will need to apply for a replacement BRP visa in order to re-enter the UK, followed by a new BRP once you are back in the UK - see Passport, visa and BRP problems. The guidance on this has not changed, in spite of the recent tightening of restrictions, including on travel. What have we added? Usually, if you stay in the UK without immigration permission when you are required to hold it ("overstaying"), you will encounter many problems. Universities UK has put together a series of frequently asked questions, with answers, about accommodation matters. 'Exceptional assurance' is not immigration permission but it means you are not regarded as an overstayer. What have we added? Previously, the guidance said this but the form was not amended to match it. International students will be required to take at least one in-person class to keep their visas, at a time when many universities are prioritizing online instruction. Everyone at UKCISA and Universities UK International understands that it is a difficult time for many international students. What have we added? Many countries have different travel restrictions and rules about self-isolation and quarantine. We are seeking specific advice from the government on self-isolation in shared accommodation. and in its entirety, including UKCISA's logo, disclaimer, copyright statement You must complete at least 50% of the combined length of the 2 programs in Canada. Remember that, since 5 October 2020, there has been no limit on postgraduate study. What have we updated? In summary, you will have to provide your journey and contact details on an online form 48 hours or less before you travel to the UK and you will not be allowed to leave the place where you are staying in the UK for your first 14 days, except in very limited situations. You must provide a letter of acceptance from a DLI when you apply. Changing in the UK from one category of immigration permission to another is often called 'switching'. There is lots of useful information about looking after your mental health during this pandemic on the Student Minds website. Universities UK - information aimed specifically at current and future international students, Office for Students (regulator of higher education in England), including guidance for education providers and a briefing note on best practice in supporting international students, Student Awards Agency Scotland, aimed at students with links to guidance for education providers, Welsh government covering further and higher education, travel, accommodation and collecting belongings, NI Direct for information about all areas of life in Northern Ireland, National Union of Students (NUS), particularly its Safety Net campaign for a hardship fund for all students, Office of the Independent Adjudicator (reviews complaints about higher education providers in England and Wales), including a briefing note for education providers, COVID-19 Anti-Racism Group (CARG), which calls out racism, particularly against British East Asians and international students, and has resources on where to find help and how to report hate crimes. You have 90 days in which to collect your BRP. If you have to leave the UK earlier than expected, for any reason, you must tell your education provider. Covid-19: Guidance for Student sponsors, migrants and for Short-term students states that distance learning in the UK, and in other countries, is currently acceptable for all students who have already started a course, even if you have Student immigration permission. Being outside of one’s home for the purposes of outbound travel to one’s country of nationality or residence can be considered a reasonable excuse under the regulations". This means that you will be able to return to the UK to resume study, as long as you are able to travel back before your immigration permission expires. It now states that: "International students currently in England can return home, subject to any restrictions in place at their destination. WATCH: International students in Canada are raising concerns about their ability to get a higher education as the COVID-19 pandemic continues – … Another provides that students who are not sponsored by an HEP with a track record of compliance may apply to study at the same level as their previous course as long as their sponsor confirms that both courses together support your career aspirations and the course starts before 31 December 2020. If you need to extend your current immigration permission, you might also benefit from the concessions we explain in 'Applying in the UK as a Student when this is not usually possible' (below). For confirmation of this, see Home Office information, Coronavirus (COVID-19): get support if you're a migrant living in the UK. The application form for 'exceptional assurance' and the Advice for UK visa applicants and temporary UK residents (which links to the form) now state that you can apply for 'exceptional assurance' only if your immigration permission expires between 1 September 2020 and 31 October 2020. For details of test centres, see Applying for a UK visa: approved English language tests, and keep in touch with your Student sponsor; it is not clear how this will actually work in practice so your Student sponsor may need to put alternative measures in place. Since we are in an environment of evolving information, please make sure to regularly check the International Center's COVID-19 update page for important information and updates. UK universities have been supporting all students and staff who might be concerned about their health with up-to-date advice from health services. If you have financial difficulties, let your education provider or Students' Union know and ask if they can help you in any way. Information about scholarships. The same applies if you are unable to leave a country in which you are not usually resident and need to apply there. You must have a valid study permit or a letter of introduction that shows you were approved for a study permit. For example, if you currently have visitor status in Canada and your spouse or common-law partner is a NOC C or D worker, you may need to submit your application on paper. Many students' unions have specialist housing advisers. stay at home if you feel ill or live with other people who are ill, but seek medical help if you feel you need it: wear a face mask or other face covering, always if you are indoors and if you cannot keep your distance from people outdoors, wash your hands regularly - soap and hot water work best, but hand sanitiser helps, library, study spaces, wellbeing and catering facilities can remain open from 3 December and throughout the Christmas period. The Home Office does not provide an exhaustive list of what it means by 'urgent', so you need to set out clearly in your application, with evidence, why you must apply now or very soon to stay in the UK and why you cannot do what you want to do with your existing immigration permission. Post offices and education providers hold entry clearance BRPs for a period of at least 90 days. If you are hoping to enter the UK to continue study, you have to consider whether you will be able to get to a visa application centre that is open and you can travel to the UK. You must submit an application for 1 of these options before your study permit expires, or you may need to leave Canada. These matters include: the need for reassurance about network capacity, concerns about ticket prices, including for flights, changing to distance learning in the UK or outside the UK, studying by distance learning when you have entry clearance but have not yet been able to travel to the UK, you need to apply to remain in the UK for an urgent reason, including starting a new job or course of study, and, you are not usually able to make your application in the UK, but instead would be expected to leave the UK and apply for entry clearance (visa), make a full immigration application, always the best option if possible, apply under the urgent application scheme, apply for exceptional assurance if you intend to leave the UK but are prevented by Coronavirus-related reasons from doing this, delayed decisions on your application for indefinite leave or settled status, delayed grants of British or EEA nationality, including postponed citizenship ceremonies, not being able to get married or enter into a civil partnership as planned, Monday to Friday (except for public holidays) from 1.00pm to 4.00pm (UK time). In the case of one module, the course leader made arrangements so that group work, support and feedback could continue online. In general, you should not apply for a study permit at a Canadian port of entry at this time. For example, you may not be able to get these documents because offices are closed. This mix of formats is called 'blended learning'. If you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you can use it to receive free NHS treatment, at least until 31 December 2020. Universities understand that a student’s halls are usually their main home for much of the year and universities will support those students who cannot or do not want to go home. Looking after our mental health is more important now than ever and social distancing can be extremely difficult to cope with. Added PSI Services (Skills for English) to the list of SELT providers (for tests taken outside the UK). Confirmation that UKVCAS is regarded as an essential service. You had to request it, free of charge, from the Home Office and explain your Coronavirus-related reason for not having left the UK by 31 August. They reduced the full amount by 30 per cent because the institution continued to provide other services, including pastoral support and online library facilities. The health, welfare and safety of students and staff is the top priority for university leaders following the Coronavirus outbreak. They will provide that anyone who makes an immigration application on or after that date will not be regarded as being "in breach of immigration laws" (and thus likely to have their application refused) if they overstayed at any time and for any period between 24 January and 31 August 2020. Study Melbourne is dedicated to supporting our international student community during this challenging time. The only exception is if a test centre opens less than 7 calendar days before you make your Student application, in which case you can rely on your higher education provider's assessment. We have asked the Home Office whether someone who has already had a 90-day visa can apply for another one free of charge. UK governments have issued information for students about what is likely to happen over the Christmas holidays. If your application passes this first stage, we’ll let you know in your online account. Check with your sponsor if you are worried that it might have withdrawn sponsorship. Only certain people can apply at the port of entry at this time. Sopra Steria, which runs the immigration application centres (UKVCAS service points) in the UK announced on 30 March that all its service points were closed. If you have paid the immigration health surcharge and your immigration permission has not expired, you continue to be entitled to free NHS treatment for other illnesses and conditions. of international students and those who work with them. The Government has confirmed that time spent studying outside the UK because of Coronavirus (COVID-19) will not count against you as long as you enter the UK before 6 April 2021 and you spend your last semester in the UK with Student or Tier 4 immigration permission. The main one is an exemption for anyone who needs more time to complete a course as a result of Covid-19. You were not sent an updated biometric residence permit if you applied under the free extension scheme, and the same applies to the 'grace period' (to 31 August) and 'exceptional assurance'. What have we changed? Although it is aimed at British citizens, most of it is relevant to everyone who is resident in the UK. It is very important that you let your education provider know where you are and how you are doing., If you need help in any way, from mental health and feeling lonely to finances and study, make sure you tell your institution so that it can offer you the support you need. We understand that students and staff may be worried about friends and family members in China and our thoughts go to all those affected by this situation. You may be able to apply at the port of entry if you’re a. You might want to leave before your term or semester ends because you are worried about the situation in the UK. Try to avoid leaving before you receive a decision as you will usually be treated as withdrawing your application. The same principle applies to dependants and others. If, on a future application, an officer asks you about work you performed during this time, let them know what essential service or function you worked in. The Scottish government has also published guidance specifically for students: The regulations published on 4 November for residents of England do not provide an exemption for international students from the general ban on overseas travel . You will not be penalised for not attending or making an appointment if you are, or someone you live with is, ill or if the service is not operating. We recognize that the travel restrictions will have an impact on many people who can’t travel to Canada right now. The Government should publish guidance on this soon, and speak to your employer if you have not been able to apply under Tier 2 as a result of Coronavirus (COVID-19). Priority and Super priority services are available in some, but not all, locations. In another module, four weeks of classes and a project were cancelled and the project was not replaced by an assessment with similar objectives. Being outside of one’s home for the purposes of outbound travel to one’s country of nationality or residence can be considered a reasonable excuse under the regulations". For details of this provision, see Covid-19: Guidance for Student sponsors, migrants and for Short-term students. Course providers may exercise discretion in your favour - this has financial consequences for them so you need to discuss this with them and explain your situation in detail If they cannot help you, consider contacting your MP and ask them to raise your case with the relevant government department. 5 February 2020. Hundreds of would-be master's students in Mexico and Iran are in the same situation. You will need to provide biometrics as part of your application. If you apply for Student immigration permission and start studying outside the UK, you will have to pay the full immigration health surcharge and will not be entitled to a refund for the period when you are not in the UK. England guidance for students amended on 24 November to state that travel home during 'lockdown' is permitted. International Student Support As we continue to live and study through COVID-19, it can often be confusing and challenging as a student in Australia. What have we changed? We must ensure that students and staff are safe and supported, and that students receive the high quality of education that they rightly expect.". Home Office guidance permits more higher education providers than usual to assess English language for pre-sessional courses in their own way - see Covid-19: Guidance for Student sponsors, migrants and for Short-term students. If your study permit expires before you apply to extend it, you’ve lost your status as a student in Canada. 27 March 2020. IHS goes up on 27 October 2020. You may be able to restore your status. If this is the case, try talking to someone at the institution, if at all possible. As a temporary measure, if you’re in Canada and applying to work, study or stay temporarily in Canada, you do not need to give your biometrics. If you had been granted exceptional assurance, your deadline for applying for Tier 4 student immigration permission was stated as 1 October 2020. If you’re already in Canada and you try to apply at the port of entry, you will likely need to quarantine for 14 days if the border services officer approves you to re-enter Canada. You can apply online for a study permit if you’re already in Canada as a visitor. You must complete the other 50% of your program in Canada. Coronavirus (COVID-19): Student sponsors, migrants and short-term students, frequently asked questions, with answers, about accommodation matters, Home Office guidance for sponsors and applicants, Financial hardship and no access to public funds (updated 30 October), defined by the Office for Students as vulnerable. This depends on a range of matters, including nationality or the nationality of family members. The UK Government has recently set up schemes to prevent hardship for workers. International students who are struggling to pay for their food and groceries can access free and healthy food at Foodbank’s International Student Pop-Up Store. See the list of DLIs with approved COVID-19 readiness plans. Most of the information is aimed at all students and involves a move early in December to online learning, along with Covid-19 testing and travel arranged in stages.